Thursday, March 15, 2007

CONN IGGULDEN Wolf of the Plains ***

This isn't my sort of book at all. I only read it because it was a gift from some people at church who knew I'd been to Mongolia. But against my better judgement I quite enjoyed it!

It's the first volume in a series of epic novels about Genghis Khan. This one's about his boyhood and rise to power.

The body count is massive - people are slaughtered on every page. And women are stolen and traded like goods. It's a world where the difference between good and evil isn't a lack of savagery, but is all to do with honour.

The simple, straightforward narrative drives you to turn the pages and amazingly you can begin to empathise with and care about characters who live by these horrible rules. But I wanted to know more about what made them tick, and I don't think Conn Iggulden is able to deliver anything of that depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment