Saturday, March 05, 2011

SIMON GARFIELD Just My Type ***(*)

This is quite the worst sort of book to read on a Kindle.

It's all about fonts or typefaces and, I'm sure, lovingly designed using a very carefully chosen font and well-displayed examples of other fonts. But because Kindle only gives you a choice of two fonts for the main text of a book I don't think I can have got the full experience! The examples were displayed as grainy jpgs.

But despite that I found this quirky book fascinating. But then I've always loved fonts.

It talks about how certain fonts, like Helvetica came to dominate, and how Comic Sans became the bete-noir of designers the world over, and about the designers like Margaret Calvert who invented the look of most of the world's motorway signs. And it talks about the pivotal moment that I remember - when Letraset went into the bin and computers took over.

If you're not interested in fonts and design you might just be bored rigid.

No comments:

Post a Comment