Wednesday, June 09, 2010

JENNY UGLOW A Gambling Man ***

I got through this acclaimed portrait of Charles II and the Restoration, but to be honest it became a bit of a chore. I think I'd expected more of an intimate look at the man and less of a solid history book.

But there are some fascinating bits in it. It makes you realise how small London was in the 1660s, stretching from Charing Cross in the West to the Tower of London in the east, and from the river only as far north as Clerkenwell.

I also was amazed by Charles' ability to keep so many mistresses on the go at once - and their children!

2 comments:

  1. Colin Gale8:29 pm

    Are you going to review any of the other books in the Samuel Johnson Prize shortlist? I'm thinking of looking up 'Too Big to Fail'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. But if you do read it let me know what it's like.

    ReplyDelete