Sunday, September 07, 2008

RHIDIAN BROOK More Than Eyes Can See ****

This book means a lot to me because it was the basis for my latest filming trip, and he talks about people I've met.

Rhidian Brook (novelist, TV screenplay-writer, Radio 4 'Thought for the Day' contributor) was invited to visit Salvation Army AIDS projects round the world and share his observations on radio and in this book. So he took off for 6 months with his wife and two young children. They spent most time in Kithituni - where I went - in Kenya, and fell in love with the place and the people - which I can readily understand.

It's very powerful and honest and helped me to crystallise my thoughts about much of the work I saw. A lot of it seems, on the surface, to be wasteful of people's time and energy and can't do much to change the situation. But the love that is shown is life-changing and brings dignity and self-respect to people who are often stigmatised for having the virus.

It's very well written too.

No comments:

Post a Comment