Saturday, June 21, 2008

SIRI HUSTVEDT The Sorrows of an American ***

When I'm working abroad I can never concentrate on a serious book as my mind is too busy absorbing all the new things around me. That's may be why I didn't get into this book as much as I thought I would - I had a fortnight's break from it when I went to Tanzania.

It doesn't help that there are so many thought-provoking ideas that distract the reader from the story and the characters - and the fact that there are so many interweaving stories going on.

It's narrated by a New York psychiatrist of Norwegian descent. He and his sister find a letter among his dead father's papers that seem to say he was involved in a killing in the 1930s. So they try and sort that out, along with his sister's problems to do with her late husband, his lodger's problems with her daughter and an apparent stalker. and the problems of various of his patients. It's all involved with their dreams.

Interesting but indigestible.

No comments:

Post a Comment